Finding a mouse is perhaps one of the most unsettling things that can occur in your home—no matter where it occurs. Unfortunately, mice are notoriously sneaky and can squeeze through the smallest hole or crack. In this article, we’ll show you how to keep mice away from your house, and how to get rid of any existing rodents.
What Attracts Mice?
One of the first steps for how to prevent mice is knowing what attracts them in the first place. There are a few things you may unknowingly be doing that are drawing them to your house:
- Warmth: Mice are attracted to warmth and can actually detect it through the smallest crack or hole.
- Food: Things like fruits, berries, grains or seeds, meats, plants, nuts, and pet food are just some of a mouse’s favorite food. Crumbs or leftovers that aren’t properly cleaned up make a perfect food source for mice.
- Clutter: Mice typically make their nests in cluttered areas as they provide both warmth and shelter, and some areas may provide a tasty treat for rodents.
- Cracks and Openings: A hole in a window screen or a gap between doors are an open invitation for mice.
How to Prevent Mice in Your House
Knowing what attracts mice to your home can help you take steps in preventing them. Below are a few strategies on how to prevent mice in the house:
- Ensure that your house is sealed tight. This includes gaps around vents, chimneys, pipes, doors, windows, and screens.
- Properly seal and store food. Airtight containers are usually effective.
- Ensure that all trash is sealed tightly and regularly disposed of
- Set mouse traps like snap, electric, sticky, or live traps
- Reduce clutter around your home—especially in your garage, attic, and basement
- Remove all standing water from around your home
Even with these precautions, you may struggle to keep mice out of your home. If these measures aren’t working, consider calling a professional exterminator as they can take care of a small pest problem before it becomes worse.
Contact the Green Pest Pros to Keep Mice Away from Your House
Green Pest Pros are ready to take on whatever type of mouse is threatening your home. We use only the best, most effective products to protect your home. From your attic all the way down to your basement, our experienced team of technicians will remove any existing rodents and prevent them from returning with our residential services.