While spiders are helpful in getting rid of other household pests, most of us prefer creepy crawlers to remain outside. This guide will provide helpful tips on how to prevent spiders from invading your home and how to avoid attracting them in the first place.
What Attracts Spiders
Like every other creature, spiders need food and shelter in order to survive, and your home provides the perfect place to get both. In addition to plenty of food and reliable shelter, there are a few other things that attract spiders to your home, including:
- Insects: Insects are a spider’s primary source of food. They’ll eat anything from flies and mosquitos to crickets, beetles, and cockroaches. If you’ve noticed plenty of other insects around or inside your home, chances are spiders are nearby.
- Warmth: As the temperatures begin to drop, most spiders will look for a warm place to pass the winter, starting with your home.
- Water: Some spiders will make their homes in moist, damp, and cool areas such as basements, crawl spaces, or other damp spaces within your home.
- Domestic Waste: Garbage piles, recycling, and other waste are natural attractions to spiders, as many of their prey tend to live in or nearby these areas.
- Privacy: Your home has plenty of hiding spaces that ensure spiders will be safe from common hunters like birds or bigger spiders.
How to Prevent Spiders Entering Your House
Below are a few strategies for how to prevent spiders in your house:
- Seal Access Points: One of the most effective ways in how to prevent spiders entering your house is to seal up all access points. Ensure that all cracks around windows and doors are properly sealed and that you don’t have any holes in screens.
- Repair Foundation Damage: Many spider infestations start in foundation cracks, so make sure you’re checking for and repairing any cracks or damages to your foundation.
- Regularly Clean Your Home: Make sure that you’re regularly removing trash and debris from both inside and out of your home, as many spiders will view these as a possible food source or shelter.
- Remove Webs: If you see any webs around your home or yard, either knock them down with a broom or vacuum them up.
Eliminate Spiders for Good with the Help of the Green Pest Pros
No matter what type of spider you’re struggling with, the experts at Green Pest Pros can not only eliminate existing spiders, but keep them from returning. We’re proud to provide high-quality, long-lasting, and affordable commercial and residential services to keep your property spider-free. Find an exterminator near you on our service area page or contact us today to get more information.