Ants in Alabama
Dark Rover Ants
Rover ants are usually found in soil and range in color from pale yellow to blackish-brown. They are about 2.5 mm in length, have antennae that are nine segments, and have an uneven thorax with a hump-like appearance on the front.
These ants are attracted to moist areas like mulch or underground areas. Argentine ants are identifiable by their light or dark brown color and range from 2.2 to 2.8 mm long. When crushed, they give off a musty odor.
Pharaoh ants have light yellow bodies with black and red markings on the abdomen and are very small. Most only reach 2 mm in length. They make their nests in warm, humid, and hidden areas near food and water sources.
Odorous House Ants
These ants are easily distinguishable as they emit a rotten coconut smell when crushed. They have dark brown or black bodies with an uneven thorax. Nests are usually found in walls or floor voids or in areas that are moist and warm.
You’ll find these ants underneath or next to sidewalks, driveways, or patios. Pavement ants are light brown or black with lighter colored appendages and slightly larger ants, ranging from 2.5 to 3 mm.
Tawny Crazy Ants
Tawny Crazy Ants are yellowish-brown in color with reddish-brown legs, are around 3 mm long, and have long antennae. If not taken care of, this ant species in Alabama can quickly become an infestation.
These aggressive ants are small, reddish-brown in color, and easily agitated. They have a painful sting that can trigger allergic reactions.
The Dangers of Ant Infestations (And How to Prevent Them)
Noticing a few ants scurrying around your property is normal. However, there are signs that a small ant problem is becoming worse, and you should seek professional ant control in Birmingham. Ignoring a problem or attempting to resolve it yourself could lead to:
- Damage to your home or furniture, specifically wood damage that can cause walls or ceilings to collapse.
- Health risks, including pain, redness, or itching around bite marks or allergic reactions that can cause nausea, difficulty breathing, chest pain, diarrhea, or stomach pains.
- Contaminated food or water that can result in illness.
Once your home has been treated by a professional in ant extermination in Birmingham, AL, there are a few things you can do keep them out of your home, including:
- Property clean up and store food in the pantry and cupboards.
- Regularly clean floors and counters to eliminate crumbs.
- Fix leaky pipes and remove any standing water from around your property.
- Throw away or store leftover pet food at the end of each day.
- Ensure all holes, gaps, or tears in doors and windows are properly sealed.
What Does Ant Control in Birmingham Look Like?
The only way to keep ants out of your home is with a professional exterminator. While every exterminator will have a different process, ant control usually involves inspecting your home or business to identify problem areas. They’ll then spray both in and around your property to eliminate ants and prevent new ones from returning. Most pest control services take a few hours to complete and will return throughout the year to respray.
For the best ant removal in Birmingham, AL, contact Evergreen Pest Control. We use only the best, environmentally-friendly products for powerful, effective ant control. Contact us today!